Recently a video did its rounds on social media, showing how the sum of the natural numbers was $\frac{-1}{12}$. Naturally there was some skepticism from some of my friends, so I decided to write up a short note to clarify the situation.
You can find the video here, and for the more mathematically inclined, a blog post by Terry Tao.
What I'm going to show is that there is a slightly more rigorous way of interpreting the manipulations performed in the YouTube video, while pointing out the parts which are still not fully kosher.
Every time you move from blue to red in a colored block, it's like going down the rows of the table.
(And of course if you plug $x=-1$ into the fraction $\frac{1}{1-x}$, you get $1/2$, no magic there).
So what have you just seen? What I just showed you was that $1+x+x^2+\cdots \rightarrow 1/2$ as $x \rightarrow -1$, i.e
Here comes the non-kosher part: I'm going to ask you to believe that since
$$1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + \cdots = 1/4$$
using the series
$$1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3 + \cdots,$$
it continues to be $1/4$ even when we use this new series
The Non-Kosher Step
You can find the video here, and for the more mathematically inclined, a blog post by Terry Tao.
What I'm going to show is that there is a slightly more rigorous way of interpreting the manipulations performed in the YouTube video, while pointing out the parts which are still not fully kosher.
(Could I start by saying that the sum doesn't work "because of physics"? Thank you.)
Infinite Sums
In case your response upon watching that video was "Wait a minute! That sum is clearly infinity" - you're not wrong. The typical way to define an infinite sum is as the limit of its partial sums i.e.
$$S = a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + \cdots = \sum _{n=1} ^ \infty a_n $$
is defined to be
$$ lim _{N \rightarrow \infty} \sum_{n=1} ^N a_n$$
and according to this definition, the sum $1+2+3+\cdots$ is certainly $\infty$.
And it gets worse - there are sums whose partial sums don't even have a limit. Here's an example which is actually from the video; the sum
$$S_1=1-1+1-1+1-1+ \cdots$$
has partial sums alternating between 1 and 0. In the video, he says that since the partial sums alternate in this way, the sum must be the "average" of these two values i.e. 1/2.
I'm going to show you another way of seeing this. We won't actually use this sum, but it's a good way to start.
Start with the series expansion
$$\frac{1}{1-x} = \sum _{n >= 0} x^n$$
Let's first see why the fraction $\frac{1}{1-x}$ has that series expansion (you've probably seen this before):
$$(1-x) (1+x+x^2+x^3\cdots) = (1+x+x^2+x^3\cdots) - x (1+x+x^2+x^3\cdots)$$
which becomes
$$ = (1+x+x^2+x^3\cdots) - (x+x^2+x^3\cdots) $$
just by multiplying by $x$. Now all the powers of $x$ cancel, leaving only
just by multiplying by $x$. Now all the powers of $x$ cancel, leaving only
$$ (1-x) (1+x+x^2+x^3\cdots) = 1$$
and therefore
$$(1+x+x^2+x^3\cdots) = \frac{1}{1-x}$$
Now this is fine as far as algebra goes i.e. symbolic manipulation. But what happens when we want to plug in values for $x$, say $x=500$?
Well, you can't. The problem is that the infinite sum will just stop making sense. The values of $x$ for which the sum does make sense is called its domain of convergence. For the sum $\sum x^n$, the domain of convergence is just the interval $-1<x<1$ (take my word for it - if we get into that level of detail I'll never get done here).
Okay, so
- When $x$ is between -1 and 1, the value of the fraction $\frac{1}{1-x}$ matches with the limit of partial sums i.e. the infinite sum of $\sum x^n$.
- When $x=1$, both the fraction and the sum clearly blow up - the fraction gets a zero in the denominator and the sum just becomes $1+1+1+1+\cdots$.
- But what happens at $x=-1$?
Let's compute - I'm going to plug in some values of $x$, starting at $-0.1$ and going down to $-0.9$. You can imagine $x$ moving to the left on the number line as you go down the rows of this table:
For each row, I've listed the first few terms of the series along with their signs so that it looks like a sum (as if I've plugged values of $x$ into $1+x+x^2+\cdots$). Then in the sixth column I have the infinite sum itself (well, not quite infinite, I did the computation with $1+x+\cdots + x^{1000}$). The final column has the value of the fraction for this value of $x$.
Here's what you're supposed to notice about this table:
- The sum $\sum x^n$ matches the fraction $\frac{1}{1-x}$. Of course if I had shown more digits after the decimal points they would eventually have differed, because the sum only used 1000 terms.
- Both of these get closer to $1/2$ as $x$ gets closer to $-1$ (the bottom rows)
- The second column is getting closer to -1, the third column to +1, the fourth to -1 and the fifth to +1.
I've attempted to draw a graph which to show (3). The different colors correspond to the rows of the table. Take a look at each block of colored bars.
- The first one is $x^0$, which is just 1, no matter what $x$ is
- The second one is $x^1$, so you can see the dark blue bar is for $x=-0.5$ and the red one is for $-1$
- The third one is for $x^2$, etc...
Every time you move from blue to red in a colored block, it's like going down the rows of the table.
Now what I'm trying to show you here is how the individual terms of the series $1+x+x^2+\cdots$ get closer to $1-1+1-1+\cdots$ as $x \rightarrow -1$. So when you look at the series, this is a way you can picture it changing as $x \rightarrow -1$.
I would have been nice if I had also indicated the sums of these terms, but my graphing skills only go so far... anyway from the table you can see that they approach $1/2$.
I would have been nice if I had also indicated the sums of these terms, but my graphing skills only go so far... anyway from the table you can see that they approach $1/2$.
(And of course if you plug $x=-1$ into the fraction $\frac{1}{1-x}$, you get $1/2$, no magic there).
So what have you just seen? What I just showed you was that $1+x+x^2+\cdots \rightarrow 1/2$ as $x \rightarrow -1$, i.e
$$ 1-1+1-1+1- \cdots = 1/2$$
To summarize, I'm going to state all this in a very particular way:
To summarize, I'm going to state all this in a very particular way:
- There is a function $f(x) = \frac{1}{1-x}$,
- with a series expansion $1+x+x^2+x^3\cdots$
- and there is also a point $x=-1$
- which allows us to view the sum $1-1+1-\cdots$ as $f(-1)$.
LET ME REITERATE: The sum $1-1+1-\cdots$ has no meaning according to the definitions of infinite sums. We are specifically interpreting it as the specialization of a series at a point on the boundary of the domain of convergence.
The sum $S_2$
The next sum in the video is
$$ S_2 = 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + \cdots $$
which they claim equals $1/4$.
If you believe what I said in the last section, this one is easy. Just differentiate
$$ \frac{1}{1-x} = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + \cdots $$
with respect to $x$; you get
$$ \frac{1}{(1-x)^2} = 1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3 + \cdots$$
and plug in $x=-1$ to get
$$ \frac{1}{4} = 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + \cdots$$
A different kind of series
We just interpreted $1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + \cdots$ as the specialization of $$1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3 + \cdots$$ at $x=-1$. Now we're going to look at it differently, as the specialization at $x=-1$ of
$$\frac{1}{1^x} - \frac{1}{2^x} + \frac{1}{3^x} - \frac{1}{4^x} \cdots$$
Here comes the non-kosher part: I'm going to ask you to believe that since
$$1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + \cdots = 1/4$$
using the series
$$1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3 + \cdots,$$
it continues to be $1/4$ even when we use this new series
$$\frac{1}{1^x} - \frac{1}{2^x} + \frac{1}{3^x} - \frac{1}{4^x} \cdots$$
Accepting this for the moment, the final series we need is
$$ g(x) = \frac{1}{1^x} + \frac{1}{2^x} + \frac{1}{3^x} + \frac{1}{4^x} \cdots$$
Very similar, but now we have a + sign on every term.
Step 1. Make a modification of $g(x)$ which only uses even numbers.
This is easy - we just divide it by $2^x$; watch:
$$\frac{g(x)}{2^x} = \frac{1}{2^x} \left ( \frac{1}{1^x} + \frac{1}{2^x} + \frac{1}{3^x} + \frac{1}{4^x} \cdots \right )$$
$$ = \frac{1}{2^x} + \frac{1}{4^x} + \frac{1}{6^x} + \cdots$$
Cool.
Step 2. Now we subtract it from $g(x)$, first once:
Step 2. Now we subtract it from $g(x)$, first once:
$$ g(x) - \frac{g(x)}{2^x} = \frac{1}{1^x} + \frac{1}{3^x} + \frac{1}{5^x} + \cdots $$
and then again:
$$ g(x) - \frac{g(x)}{2^x}- \frac{g(x)}{2^x} = \frac{1}{1^x} - \frac{1}{2^x} + \frac{1}{3^x} - \frac{1}{4^x} + \frac{1}{5^x}+ \cdots $$
(Looking familiar!) Let's simplify the left-hand side by grouping the $g(x)$'s
$$g(x) (1 - \frac{1}{2^x}- \frac{1}{2^x} ) = \frac{1}{1^x} - \frac{1}{2^x} + \frac{1}{3^x} - \frac{1}{4^x} + \frac{1}{5^x}+ \cdots$$
$$g(x) \left (1 - \frac{2}{2^x} \right ) = \frac{1}{1^x} - \frac{1}{2^x} + \frac{1}{3^x} - \frac{1}{4^x} + \frac{1}{5^x}+ \cdots $$
If we plug $x=-1$ into the left-hand side, we get $g(-1) (1-4)$, and if we plug it into the right-hand side we get $1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + \cdots =1/4$.
Diving by $1-4$ gives us $$g(-1) = -1/12$$
And... what is $g(-1)$? Go ahead, look at the definition, you will get
$$1+2+3+4+\cdots = -1/12$$
The Non-Kosher Step
Why am I uncomfortable with saying that
$$\frac{1}{1^x} - \frac{1}{2^x} + \frac{1}{3^x} - \frac{1}{4^x} \cdots$$
approaches $1/4$ as $x \rightarrow -1$?
Remember that whole bit above where I drew the graphs of those series and said "well, the series approaches 1/4 as $x$ approaches -1"? I showed you a table and hopefully convinced you that what I was doing wasn't complete nonsense. (Okay, I drew the graphs for $S_1$, but it works for $S_2$ as well. Try it in Excel or something).
We can't do that here.
Not only can we not approach $x = -1$, we can't even cross $x=+1$! The series converges when $x>1$, and blows up at $x=1$, but even if you try to evaluate it at $x=0.99$ it won't work. It just blows up.
So how did I jump from $x=1$, across 0 all the way to $x=-1$?
Well, that's why this is the non-kosher step. And I don't have an explanation which doesn't involve more machinery.
But it's not "because of the physics".
approaches $1/4$ as $x \rightarrow -1$?
Remember that whole bit above where I drew the graphs of those series and said "well, the series approaches 1/4 as $x$ approaches -1"? I showed you a table and hopefully convinced you that what I was doing wasn't complete nonsense. (Okay, I drew the graphs for $S_1$, but it works for $S_2$ as well. Try it in Excel or something).
We can't do that here.
Not only can we not approach $x = -1$, we can't even cross $x=+1$! The series converges when $x>1$, and blows up at $x=1$, but even if you try to evaluate it at $x=0.99$ it won't work. It just blows up.
So how did I jump from $x=1$, across 0 all the way to $x=-1$?
Well, that's why this is the non-kosher step. And I don't have an explanation which doesn't involve more machinery.
But it's not "because of the physics".

